- If you are a new HostGator customer or if you are upgrading your HostGator plan, you may be eligible for our free content transfer service.
- If you are moving from a host where you used cPanel, you can perform a full backup and our Migrations department may be able to help you restore it. This will spare you from completing the steps below.
Step 1: Backup Your WordPress Database Using phpMyAdmin
- Click on the name of the database which contains your WordPress blog.
- Click Export in the top navigation menu.
- Select the Quick option listed under the Export Method section.
- Leave the selection in the format section as SQL .
- Click Go.
- Once completed, there will be a prompt to save the file. Simply click on Save as File; this will download a file named wordpress.sql to your desktop.
Step 2: Download/Upload All WordPress Files Using FTP
Step 3: Create a New WordPress Database and Edit wp-config.php
Create a New Database
- From your control panel, click the MySQL Databases icon.
- Create a new database with a name appropriate for your blog.
- Create a database username and password.
- Assign the new user to the new database and grant All Privileges.
Editing the wp-config.php File
- From your control panel, click the File Manager icon.
- Navigate to the document root for the domain for which you are updating the WordPress.
- Locate the file named wp-config (its normally in the group of files near the bottom).
- Click to open the file, and locate the following lines so that they can be updated with the correct information:
- If you did not edit the file on the server via the File Manager with your new database settings, upload it to the root of your blog folder.
Step 4: Importing WordPress to the New Database
- Click the name of the Database to which you wish to import the information.
- Click the Import tab at the top of the page.
- In the File to Import section, select the SQL based file from your computer that you wish to import.
- Use Partial Import if you intend to skip a set number of code rows.
- The Format and Format Specific Options sections can be left to their default values.
- Click Go to initiate the import.